What happens if my ex filed for divorce without me knowing and the decree was judged?

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if my ex filed for divorce without me knowing and the decree was judged?

My ex has been running up tickets ($7,070 to be exact) in the vehical we financed together. He has also defaulted on the loan which they have frozen my bank account for. When I went to court to find out my legal options and how to divorce him since I can’t find him to serve him with papers, the court had told me he filed 2 years ago. It was decreed last year that he was awarded the vehicle. How can this happen without me knowing? And if he’s awarded the vehicle and has had it for 3 years, why is the creditor freezing my account and how am I stuck paying his tickets to keep my license?

Asked on July 23, 2012 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to go and speak with a lawyer as soon as possible. If you were not properly served and a default was entered against you for the divorce then you need to do something about it.  Now, it also sounds as if there was an action by the lender of the car against you if your bank account is frozen.  The lender was not a party to the divorce action and is not obilgated to adhere to the court's order granting him the vehcile and letting you off the hook.  The lender can come after both of you because you both signed the loan.  And sice you are both on the title the municipality you live in can keep issuing tickets to you.  Please, please get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption