What happens if I wasn’t able to attend a court hearing for a civil suit filed against me?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I wasn’t able to attend a court hearing for a civil suit filed against me?

Will it affect my status, visa or passport? I am bound to leave the US in a few days.

Asked on October 17, 2013 under Accident Law, Utah


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I suggest to you that it sounds as tho' you ought to confer privately with an immigration attorney just as soon as possible. What that court hearing involved is one consideration.  Why you did not go to court is another. The attorney will advise you on your personal worries and issues. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily



Minnesota Law Firm: IMMIGRATION LAW


Stephen Whiting / Whiting & Jardine, LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Call the court and ask what happened as a result of your non-attendance.  As a general rule, you do not better your situation by missing any hearing.


I do not practice immigration law and do not know what effect, if any, your civil case will have on your immigration status.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption