What happens if I sign over guardianship to my daughter’s grandparents?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I sign over guardianship to my daughter’s grandparents?

I recently moved out of state and I hate the fact my daughter doesn’t get to see her whole family anymore. Her grandfather asked me to sign over guardianship to him so that we could alternate having my child every month, without having to worry about medical coverage. Also, so she can still have the stability from her family.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Family Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Before you sign any guardianship papers regarding your daughter with respect to her grandfather, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about your intent, desires and potential adverse effects of the stated document so that one can be drafted by a competent attorney to cover your expectations.

As to answering your question as to what happens if you sign over guardianship of your child to your daughter's grandparents, the answer lies in what the guardianship agreement states. Hence, all the more reason for you to first consult with a family law attorney before you sign any document on the subject that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption