What happens if I pass/don’t pass a mental evaluation?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if I pass/don’t pass a mental evaluation?

I was charged with disorderly conduct- I wrote a hit note in school. I have a mental evaluation today and I was wondering what my psychiatrist could potentially do to me?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The psychiatrist will not do anything to you, directly.  I'm reasonably sure that one thing he or she will be concerned about, is whether or not you are really dangerous to others, or to yourself.  There will be a report, from the evaluation, that goes to the judge, which may well influence exactly what happens next, especially if you are still a minor.  I would hope that the report is mostly addressed to what your mental health needs might be.  There is a good chance that the recommendation will be for counseling, at least, and most courts are quick to agree with that.  You should be quick to agree with that, too.

To make sure your rights are protected, you should have a lawyer.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption