what happens if i don’t show up for a court date?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what happens if i don’t show up for a court date?

i live in Ohio, i was cited for possession of more than 2 oz, less than a lb. of pot during a traffic stop in Nebraska. i am schedule to appear in court in Nebraska 8/12. what are the consequences of not appearing?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you don't appear, the Nebraska court will issue a warrant for your arrest, if not on the first date, certainly on the second.  What I don't know is whether or not this is serious enough for Nebraska to send the warrant to Ohio to have you arrested and extradited.  The amount of marijuana you were caught with is beyond the casual user level, it is a serious offense.

Not appearing will make you a fugitive from justice.  It's not my idea of fun.  You need to talk to a criminal lawyer in Nebraska about your options.  One place you can find a qualified Nebraska attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption