If a respondent in a personal injury case leaves the country, how do I go about getting them removed from the case settlement process?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a respondent in a personal injury case leaves the country, how do I go about getting them removed from the case settlement process?

Almost 2 years ago, we were hit by a vehicle in the turning lane while we were headed start on a green light. The defendant took the blame but one

respondent has left the U.S. What happens?

Asked on June 20, 2018 under Accident Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The terms "respondent" is used on appeal only--not during the initial lawsuit or trial. For purposes of this answer, we will assume you mean "defendant."
You can settle with the other defendants for a mutually agreed upon amount while "reservering" (not giving up) your claim against the one who left; you should then be able to get a default judgment (i.e. win by default) against that defendant if they do not appear for the trial date. Since judgments last for many years, if that person later returns, you could use to attempt to collect from them.
Example; say there were no personal injuries but $9,000 of car damage and three defendants, one of whom has left the country. The other defendants are willing to pay $3,000 each; you could settle with them for $6,000 and hold the other $3k claim in abeyance.
Alternately, you could refuse to settle, go to trial, and attempt to get judgement against the remaining defendants for the full amount; they could try to find the missing defendant and get contribution from him/her if you win, but that is their concern, not yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption