What form needs to be filled out

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What form needs to be filled out

My boyfriend and I share a home and we both pay for half of expenses but the home is only his and in his name. We are not planning on getting married for years but he has agreed that if he were to die the home would come to me and I would retain all equity in the home. We know we need to fill out or do some form of legal paperwork but we are not sure. Can you please let me know?

Asked on December 20, 2018 under Estate Planning, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Two options: 
1) If there is no mortgage, HELOC, lien, etc. on the home, he can deed 1/2 his interest in the home to you, placing you on the deed as a co-owner. Ideally, he should you on the deed with him as "joint tenant with right of survivorship," so that when he passes, it goes to you without going through probate or any heirs (e.g. family of his) having a claim to it. It would be best to let a real estate attorney help you with this. He can only transfer part of his interest to you if there are no mortgages or liens, etc. to pay.
2) He can create a will that leaves it to you on his death. To do this, he should hire a trusts and estates lawyer to not just draft the will, but to also make sure it is properly signed, witnessed, and notarized so as to be valid and enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption