What form can my husband fill out stating he willnot get half my car?

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What form can my husband fill out stating he willnot get half my car?

He says he will sign a piece of paper stating that he won’t. But I’d like to have a legal one. I do not trust him.

Asked on September 16, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am unsure if you are in the process of starting to think about divorce  - because you chose the heading divorce for your question - or if you are married and planning ahead.  First, let me tell you a bit of the ground rules so to speak for divorce.  Generally speaking, if the car was your prior to marriage and you have retained the title in your name then it is yours when you leave the marriage.  You do not need him to sign anything.  But if you are unsure and you think that he will claim that it was your intent to make it marital property (always the fight) then you can enter in to a post-nuptial agreement that states how you are splitting property or really what yours is yours and whats his is his.  I would get some legal help here.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption