what does plea agreement suspended mean in the judgment of conviction

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what does plea agreement suspended mean in the judgment of conviction

my husband had some of his charges dropped in his so they ordered him to do 2 years probation but on the judgment of conviction document says plea agreement suspended so does that mean that the whole case was dismissed ?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Criminal Law, Indiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This could mean one of two things, and you should have an attorney in your area read the judgment to explain it to you.  One place to find the lawyer you need is our website, http://attorneypages.com

I'm not an Indiana attorney, so it's possible that the sentence was somehow imposed in a way that wasn't consistent with the plea agreement.  The other possibility is, if your husband is a first offender, the judgment of conviction itself is actually suspended, and if he completes all the requirements of his probation with no problems (including no new charges), at the end of the two years the charges and the conviction will be dropped, and he will have essentially a clean record for most purposes.  This is quite literally a once-in-a-lifetime chance, so I hope he makes good on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption