What documents do I need to start my small business LLC

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What documents do I need to start my small business LLC

Im starting my small business
providing professional advice and live
demonstrations using entertainment. I
will be operating out of California.

Asked on November 14, 2018 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

All you need to do is 1) form an LLC, which you can online at your state's "Secretary of State" webite (here's a helpful link: https://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/filing-tips/filing-tips-llc/); then 2) get an EIN, or "Employer Identification Number" (a/k/a "tax ID number") from the IRS, which you can online at the IRS's website. Once you do those two things, you are in business, though purchasing the approrpriate liability insurance (any reputable insurance agent you know can help you) is strongly recommended before beginning operations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption