What documentation do i need to file a small claim against my former employer who hasn’t paid me my last pay check?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What documentation do i need to file a small claim against my former employer who hasn’t paid me my last pay check?

I was fired from my last job but still haven’t received my last paycheck after 2 1/2 weeks. I was fired on a Wednesday

and he told me that payday was Friday. He refused to pay me that Friday and claimed that any other business would

mail the last paycheck within 2 weeks. I gave him the address to send it to but still have not received it.

Asked on June 25, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) If there was an employment contract, have that.
2) Anything which will help prove the work you did and for which you should have been (but were not) paid, including timesheets or -cards, emails or texts confirming work done, etc.
3) Prior pay stubs, to show your pay rate.
4) Bank statements to help show you did not receive (or at least deposit) anything.
5) Any relevant written (including emails or texts) correspondence between you and the employer.
None of these things are necessary; but all are helpful, and the more you have, the better off you will be.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption