What do you do when you haven’t been paid for your service?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do you do when you haven’t been paid for your service?

I haven’t been paid in 4 months for my service for a major tv network. I recieved the job through a marketing agent and gave him an invoice, did the event, but was not paid. I have tried to contact him but he has been ignoring me. What is my next plan of action?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

When someone doesn't pay you for work you did or services rendered, your recourse is to sue for the money you are owed. For smaller amounts, sue in small claims court, acting as your own attorney; for larger amounts, retain an attorney. You would need to prove in court, by a preponderance of the evidence (that is, that it is "more likely than not") that there was an agreement that you would do certain work for an agreed-upon rate or pay and that you did the work; you could use your own or other people's testimony, emails, text messges, contracts or agreements, invoices, time sheets, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption