What do we have to do to change the names on the deed to a house?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do we have to do to change the names on the deed to a house?

My mother currently has POA over my father who is in the hospital. My parents names are on all properties. My mother want to put her children names on the family home and properties to secure things if my father is placed in nursing home. Can the nursing home take his SSI and pension or properties if put in a nursing home? In doing this do this make all kids liable to any and all debts in the parents name? What is the most economical way of doing this?

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Before your mother transfers any interests in real property of your father, she should consult with a Wills and trust attorney concerning estate planning issues and gift tax issues.

Under Internal Revenue Service guidelines anyone can gift $13,000 per year per person tax free. As such, your parents can gift you $26,000 per year tax free collectively.

If your parents cannot pay for the elder care of your father, the facility owed money could bring a legal action against your father for payment. Only the parents would be liable for the costs of the elder care.

I suggest placing the assets of your parents into a trust where inetersts in real property in a fractionalized amount equal to $13,000 per year per parent are transferred by gift deed after family property is appraised. As you can see, the above is complicated and this is why a Wills and trust attorney should be consulted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption