What do we do in order for my husband to legally adopt my 19 year old daughter?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do we do in order for my husband to legally adopt my 19 year old daughter?

Her biological father said years ago he would never sign her over, yet he has not seen her in years. Is it basically the same as a name change?

Asked on June 17, 2015 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

How wonderful of your husband to do this.  You would have to go through the same adoption process as if your daughter were small, but the requirements might be a little different given her age.  Also, it is not always a slam dunk depending on your state so I would check with an attorney in your are on the specifics of your state laws. It is much different than a name change.  It gives your daughter legal rights of inheritance, etc., where a simple name change does not.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption