What do I need to do to change my divorce decree?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do to change my divorce decree?

Family isn’t defined and I would like it to be or completely remove the section about overnight guests. I am in a long term relationship and engaged. They don’t stay the night because of this one sentence in the divorce papers, “No overnight guest’s of the opposite sex shall stay in the house while the children are present, unless they are family”.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Family Law, Minnesota


EMMANUEL SOCKS / Socks Law Associates, PLLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Family has a generic meaning that does not include your fiancee. The divorce decree is a two-party agreement that is given the force of the law by the court. You need to get with your ex-spouse and convince him to agree to sign an amendment. The court cannot just strike that part of the agreement out.

An amendment will then need to be ratified by the court via a motion filed with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption