What do I need to do sellthe mobile home that I co-owned with my now deceased boyfriend?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do sellthe mobile home that I co-owned with my now deceased boyfriend?

My boyfriend of 8 years recently passed away. We own a mobile home; both our names are on the title but I have no survivorship or quitclaim deed. He and his wife have been separated for 10 years so I’m assuming she is entitled to half of the sale. What steps do I need to take to sell the mobile home? I’m at a loss as to how to begin.

Asked on July 28, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to look to see how the registered ownership of the mobile home stands. If it is in your and your deceased boyfriend's name as joint tenants with right of suvivorship, you own the mobile home because you survived him. You will need to get a certified copy of his death certificate when you sell it to transfer clear title to the new buyer.

Did your boyfriend have a Will or trust? If so, look to see who receives his share of the mobile home under those documents and if there has been a probated Will. If no Will or trust, you will need to administer his estate in the probate court to clear up title issues to the mobile home if title was not in joint tenancy or there was not Will or trust.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption