What do I need to do or have if I travel outside the US if I have an H1B?

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to do or have if I travel outside the US if I have an H1B?

I entered the US on an F-1 visa and have not left since. What do I need in terms of documentation to re-enter the US if I want to travel outside the US for a holiday? Do I actually have to visit a consulate?

Asked on April 20, 2012 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you will need to go to a US Embassy/Consulate before being able to return to the US in H-1B status.  You will need to apply for the H-1B visa there, on the basis of an approved H-1B visa petition.  You will need to have a copy of the petition (some consulates require a certified copy, which your attorney can provide) the original H-1B approval notice, and a few recent paycheck stubs and letter of employment verification from your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption