what do i need to do about falling masonite siding on my home

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what do i need to do about falling masonite siding on my home

I have a neighbor who has complained indirectly about siding that has come off of my chimney. It is a single family residence, but we financially cannot repair the siding currently and it was old Masonite siding that the time period to file a claim on has passed. Am I responsible for correcting this, etc and what responsibility do I have if it is not causing harm/damage to anyone elses property?

Asked on March 7, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If it's not causing harm to people or damage to others' property, there is nothing you have to do: it doesn't matter if it's unsightly or the neighbor doesn't like it, since there are no legal claims or causes of action for those things. (If it's falling on his land, even if it's not hurting anything, you would be responsible for any clean-up).
If there is any harm or damaged caused by it, however, you would be 100% liable for it: a property owner is liable for injuries and damage caused by known conditions or problems on his/her property, and you are aware of this issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption