What do I have to do to remove judgments after filing bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I have to do to remove judgments after filing bankruptcy?

I have 6 judgments against me that were discharged in my bankruptcy. Now I need to get them off my record. I have 2 forms that I will need to fill out but what do I need to mail to the creditor that has the judgment? The forms have no set of instructions. What do I do after I fill them out?

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The way one typically removes judgments from his or her credit report after a bankruptcy discharge is to send several letetrs to various credit reporting agencies with copies of your order of bankruptcy discharge with the list of designated creditors on your bankruptcy on the proof of service.

Keep a copy of this letter for future use and need. It is then up to the credit reporting agencies to show that the judgments against you have been discharged.

You should also do the same with the former creditors that you have written about and complete the forms that you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption