What do I file with the court if the divorce required house to be sold and split but it never was?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I file with the court if the divorce required house to be sold and split but it never was?

I was divorced in 2014 the house in Merrimac MA should have been sold, was on the
market, my ex decided he wanted to buy me out and just never did. He still owns
the multi family and collects the rent. We have joint custody but since November
he has no place for the kids to stay, so since then the 3 kids have lived with me
in Hampstead NH.

Asked on August 8, 2019 under Family Law, New Hampshire


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can pursue contempt of court against your ex. You will need to file an Order to Show Cause for a hearing for contempt of court. Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing. Include the date/time/department of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause. Also file with the court your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts supporting your contempt of court claim. File any additional supporting documents , evidence. File a proof of service (court form).
File the above with the court and mail a copy to your ex to provide him with notice of the contempt of court hearing. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.
Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any additional documents are required because the required documents may vary from state to state. File in MA where the divorce was filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption