What do I do if the court insists that fines and court costs for an 8 year oldDUIare unpaid?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if the court insists that fines and court costs for an 8 year oldDUIare unpaid?

I was contacted by a collections agency that claims I owe $1592.25 for unpaid fees when there are no longer any records to show that they were paid? Journal entries in my files show that the one the following year were paid off but not this one?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is an order by the court that you were required to pay a certain amount of money for an old criminal conviction by a certain date and the court clerk states that the money has not been paid, unfortunately you have the burden of proving that you paid all monies owed if paid.

If you made payments by check, you need to contact your bank at the time you made the payments for copies of the negotiated checks showing that the payments for the fines were made so you can get credit for those payments.

If you have receipts from the court clerk for cash payments for the fine, you need to collect them and bring them to the court clerk for proper credit. If the court clerk gives you credit for payments made make sure you get a written receipt confirming these payments to keep for future reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption