If I was called in for questioning for a allegation of sexual assault against a child, what do I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was called in for questioning for a allegation of sexual assault against a child, what do I do?

Do I continue to answer questions for the police without one? Do I take a polygraph test? Am I at risk of losing my own children? How do I prove that I’m innocent?

Asked on September 26, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

An individual is never obligated to speak with the police, even if they come to the person's house. That having been said, if a person wants to submit to such questioning, they should never do so without an attorney. The fact is that the authorities are trained at getting a person to make incriminating statements, even if they are innocent of the crime in question. Unfortunately, you went in good faith to speak with them but it didn't work out for you. At this point, you are strongly advised to consult directly with a local criminal law attorney ASAP. They can best counsel you further. And until you retain one, do not speak again with the police and absolutely do not submit to a polygraph until you do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption