What do I do when a university is not paying my fees as a vendor?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do when a university is not paying my fees as a vendor?

I run a musical group that performed at a university this past May 2018. We
had an agreement with the university that outlined our payments by the
university as vendors of a service. The university changed many times the forms
that they needed from the individuals in the group, and has as of January 3rd
2019 still not released the payments to us, despite insisting that the payments
have been submitted for processing. There was no deadline for payment in our
agreement. Is there any action I can take to force them to release the payments,
or even with interest?

Asked on January 3, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) You can sue them for the money, for breach of contract, or violating the agreement to pay you for your performance. When there is no date for payment  set in the agreement, the law imputes that payment should be in a reasonable. time frame--generally, between net 30 and net 60 days. A 9 month delay is not reasonable, so they are in breach of their obligations.
2) You can't get interest for the delay unless the agreement specifically provided for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption