What doI do to get a misdemeanor off my background check?

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI do to get a misdemeanor off my background check?

I have a simple misdemeanor for $80 on my criminal background check; I have no clue what its about. Ibelieve a sheriff came to my house to give me a summons but it was returned unserved because I no longer lived at that residence. This was back a year or 2 ago; I havent been served again. I have no warrants and have never been in trouble with the law or anything. I’m worried not because of guilt but because Ifear that it will keep me from getting a job.

Asked on October 31, 2011 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you supposedly have a misdemeanor on your criminal background check that you know nothing about, you need to go down to the court house where the criminal matter was filed and pull the file concerning this action.

Depending upon what is stated in the file you can either seek to have the charges dismissed (assuming there are charges against you) by hiring a criminal defense attorney to assist you or contact the entity that did the background check on you showing that there is no pending matter against you and that you were never convicted of any misdemeanor.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption