What do I do if the court does not have a record of a fine that I already paid?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if the court does not have a record of a fine that I already paid?

In the spring I received a noise violation which was about $1,4000; I paid the fine on time. Recently the court charged me almost a $1,000, claiming the ticket had gone unpaid. However I was not given anything proving my payment when I went in in the spring. When I called the court they said they do not have anything on record. How would I go about pursuing this?

Asked on August 1, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have a receipt or canceled check for the $1,400.00 noise violation fine that you paid that the court clerk has no record of having been paid? If you do, take a copy of your receipt or canceled check to the court clerk (and monthly bank statement if payment was by a check) and show it to him or her.

The documentation should be enough proof that you actually paid the $1,400.00 noise violation fine as stated on the date of the receipt or date of the check. It is very important in the future that when making payments that you keep documents showing that the payment has actually been made.

You do not want to be in a position to make the payment twice for the same item.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption