What doI do if the couple thatI am renting my house out to does not leave by the date specified in the eviction letter?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI do if the couple thatI am renting my house out to does not leave by the date specified in the eviction letter?

The couple has lived or 3 years. Then 5 months ago I told them they was being evicted so they have had since then to prepare. Last month I sent them a notarized eviction notice and it was sent certified mail; it said that they had to be out by next week.

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the thirty (30) notice to terminate has expired after being served upon the tenants and they have not vacated the unit, you need to have them served with an unlawful detainer action to evict them from your unit.

It is best that you retain legal counsel to do this in that the process is somewhat complicated. If you file suit and the tenants are served with it and do not answer within the required time period, you can take their default and then do a prove up hearing for an order of eviction. Once the order is granted then you need to have the sheriff serve the eviction order upon the tenants.

If an answer is filed, then you have a hearing date set for trial. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption