What do I do if someone is hiding a vehicle that I co-signed and has not made a payment on in 6 months?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if someone is hiding a vehicle that I co-signed and has not made a payment on in 6 months?

The person I co-signed for has not made a payment in months and he is hiding the vehicle. Repo said it will be written off if no payment is made by the end of this month. He has changed his number and has no residence. What do I do? He is defaulting on the car loan and ruining my credit. There is no way to find him.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are responsible as a co-signer to not only ensure that payments are made and on time but to pay them yourself if the primary borrower is not doing so. Then you need to figure out a way to find the car and have it repossessed if the car is also in your name. If it is not in your name, talk to the lender and see if you can work with the lender in doing either a voluntary repossession by trying to find the car or you need to contact the police and see if they can help. Otherwise, I would consider your options of suing the person for contribution or repayment of the monies you make on the car and informing the department of motor vehicles to see if that agency can help in any way (perhaps placing a hold on the license).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption