What do I do if my payroll check bounced?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my payroll check bounced?

My bank said the check my boss gave me didn’t have funds now my boss doesn’t want to give me back the money I worked for?

Asked on September 24, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You may sue your boss for the money--she has to pay it there are no legal grounds for not paying an employee except if she files bankruptcy, and may also sue her for any costs or losses this caused you, like overdraft fees if  any. If the company is an LLC or corporation, you sue the business otherwise, you may sue the owners directly. Of course, if the business doesn't have any money or is out of business, even you sue and win, you may not get any money while the court can order the business to pay money, the court cannot make money appear where there is none. And if the business is an LLC or corporation, you can't, as a back-up, sue the owners the owners of an LLC or corporation are not liable for its debts, including payroll debts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption