What do I do if my jeweler lost my wedding ring diamonds?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my jeweler lost my wedding ring diamonds?

I bought my engagement ring from Jeweler A, and bought 2 wedding rings from Jeweler B. When I bought the wedding rings from Jeweler B, I gave Jeweler B my engagement ring purchased from Jeweler A to have the engagement ring welded to the 2 new wedding rings that I had just purchased from Jeweler B. I went to pick up my 3 rings that were just welded together from Jeweler B, and noticed on my way home that they had replaced one of my engagement ring diamonds with a black stone. I went back to Jeweler B to have the issue fixed and speak to their manager. They took the rings in and replaced the black diamond with a new diamond that resembles the others. The diamond they replaced it with is still black tinted but I don’t feel comfortable going back to the same jeweler. The welding on my rings has now completely come apart and when I contacted Jeweler B about fixing the diamond issue and the welding issue, they told me they would fix the issue at their headquarters as a favor to me but I would have to pay 60 to have it shipped to them. Since they ruined my diamond in the first place, I don’t think that I should have to pay anything to have them fix their mistake. What should I do at this point?

Asked on December 7, 2018 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could sue them: you could sue for the difference in value between the original diamond and the one they replaced it with, and for the amount you paid for the poorly done welding (or the cost to have it corrected--whichever is more). That is your alternative to allowing them to fix it again while paying the shipping cost--unfortunately, when someone won't voluntarily pay or do what they should, all you can do is sue them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption