What do i do if my insurance is trying to stiff me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do i do if my insurance is trying to stiff me?

My claim is on my door and the want to give me $500 and total my car. I still owe $300 on it and I’m will to use used parts. I have put a lot of money in my car. And it still runs good. I have had it checked out and my frame is not bent.

Asked on July 21, 2017 under Accident Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What you owe is irrelevant. That the car runs good is irrelevant. All that matters is if the cost to repair exceeds the current value of the car. The insurer is only required to pay the lesser of the repair cost or current value. If the car's current value, based on make, model, age, condition, mileage, is around $500, that's all they owe you. If they are offering less than the current value but want to total the car, that is improper and you could sue them for "breach of contract": for dishonoring their contractual obligation (an insurance policy is a contract) to pay the lesser of current fair market value or repair cost.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption