What do I do if I cannot get in contact my attorney?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I cannot get in contact my attorney?

I have a jury trial scheduled for the 8th of next month. I hired a private attorney after my public defender seemed incompetent, and a different attorney took our payment and then decided our case wasn’t as important as a murder case he recently obtained. So we ended up hiring the attorney we have now. When we initially met him for our consultation we met him at the county court house. He took our payment for his retainer and since then we haven’t been able to contact him. We found out he doesn’t actually have an office, he just has a PO Box. He hasn’t filed any motions, after the discovery, he hasn’t subpoenaed witnesses for the trial. He won’t file a continuance. He won’t do anything.

Asked on June 26, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to immediately contact the State Bar and file a complaint against this attorney who has not done anything on your case except take your money.

It would also be advisable to file a complaint with the State Bar about your former attorney, who also took your money and then decided to pursue a murder case instead of your case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption