What do I do if a bank is suing me for not paying a credit card?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if a bank is suing me for not paying a credit card?

I just received a summons to appear in court. I am being suingfor not paying a credit card. I lost my job and have not been employed for over a year. I’m on food stamps and am barely making ends meet. I realize I should show up for the case; any advice as to what I can say? Should I remove what little money I have in the bank in case a judgement is made against me? Any advice? I’m willing to start paying it back if/when I actually find employment.

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the case is in court, you're already very far down the collection process. You might have had opportunities to negotiate a payment plan or lesser amount, but that time has probably long passed. Really, you should defend yourself in court, if possible. If you lose, there will be a judgment against you. The creditor will try to collect on that judgment. Just how they do so will dend on the laws of your state and probably the amount in question, but it may involve lians on your assets, garnishing your wages, etc. Taking your money out of the bank will only remove one means of getting at your assets - and they won't just go away, that judgment will remain and their collections efforts will likely continue.

If you are truly unable to pay your debts, you may want to consider bankruptcy. This could lead to a discharge of your debts, giving you a "fresh start". As to whether this is a viable option for you, and just what type of bankruptcy might be appropriate, you would have to consult a bankrptcy attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption