What are my rights against if my employerwill not pay me for all of the hours that I worked?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights against if my employerwill not pay me for all of the hours that I worked?

My employer has only paid me for 4 hours but she owes me pay for 20 more hours. I have tried calling her but she’s never there. So I tried my HRrep and I’m still getting nowhere. It’s a month late. What do I do?

Asked on July 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have a right to be paid for all hours worked. If the employer will not voluntarily honor her obligations, you have two possible ways to get paid:

1) You could sue her yourself. You should probably look into suing in small claims court and representing yourself, since it is very likely that, unless you are paid a *very* high rate, that the cost of an attorney would more than offset anything you might be able to recover.

2) You could contact your state department of labor and see if they are willing to look into this matter and help you, such as by taking action against your employer on your behalf; the department of labor has the power to enforce wage and hour laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption