What do I do about landlord who coerced my employee to sign rent check?

UPDATED: Oct 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about landlord who coerced my employee to sign rent check?

My employee is not a signer on the checking account and told him so. She said the owner would sign the check in the morning but landlord demanded employee sign the check so she did. He could have just collected the $50 late fee from me the next day.

Asked on October 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your commercial landlord pressured one of your employees to sign a rent check owed him or her which created a problem with you and your employee regarding authority to sign the check, you need to do the following:

1. have a meeting with this employee advising her not to do what she did again.

2. have a meeting with your landlord advising him that any issues with the lease needs to be handled directly between you and him and that he or she is to keep employees out of any rental issues.

What the landlord did with the employee was inappropriate. What the employee allowed the landlord to do with respect to coercion upon her to sign a check likewise was inappropriate. You have bad behavior regarding both the landlord and the employee that needs to stop immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption