What doI do about charges being pressed against me for a payday loanthat Inever took out?

UPDATED: Jan 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What doI do about charges being pressed against me for a payday loanthat Inever took out?

I received a phone call today saying that I was getting charges pressed against me for not repaying a payday loan. I asked when this loan was deposited into my account, but all they could tell me is that it was sometime in July; no one could give me an actual date or any other information. I looked through all of my bank statements from the time that I opened this account in 06/10 until current, and have never gotten a such loan deposited into this account. They just keep saying that I can either pay $510 to take care of this or I can go to court.

Asked on January 17, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Since you never took out a loan of this kind and/or received any money, it's either a mistake or a scam.  It's more likely to be the latter given the facts that you have presented - they can't or won't provide any proof of your supposed transaction; a legitimate businesses on the other hand will provide such documentation.  Further, even if they have a valid claim, unless some type of fraud was used in obtaining the money, you cannot be arrested for not repaying a loan.  People do not go to jail for their debts in this country.  A debt collector may not threaten you with the possibility of criminal charges; in fact they can in no way harass or otherwise intimidate you, etc. It's the law and it's called the "Fair Debt Collections Practices Act" (FDCPA). If this law is violated, you could actually end up suing them. 

At this point, you should contact the Attorney General's office: http://www.ag.ny.gov/ or the NYS Consumer Protection Board: http://www.nysconsumer.gov/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption