What do I do about an out of state warrant?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about an out of state warrant?

I was arrested over 10 years ago for
possession. I had taken diversion classes,
attended AA and paid court fees. This was my
first offense. I have since moved out of state.
My wife got pulled over the other day and the
policeman said I had a warrant in California. I
thought I was all done and clear. Is there
anyway to handle this situation from where I
live through a lawyer. I currently live in
Connecticut and have for about 12 years.

Asked on April 26, 2017 under Criminal Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You'll may have to go out to ca to clear this up. What you need to do is to first contact a criminal law attorney who practices in the jurisdiction of where the warrant was issued. They can use their local court contacts to check on this. If it was just an administrative error, he can probably clear it up without your having to appear in court yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption