What do I do about an ex-girlfriend trying to charge me with rape?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about an ex-girlfriend trying to charge me with rape?

My ex-girlfriend from 2 years ago is threatening to charge me with rape. Does the law still apply to an act from back then? If so, what do I do? There is no evidence that I committed the act but there’s also none saying I didn’t.

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation you have written about and what is your best legal recourse at the present. Right now the "ex" is only threatening you. For law enforcement to take her seriously she will need to file a police report against you and have some medical evidence that you in fact "raped" her which from what you have written does not seem possible.

Perhaps a cease and desist leter written by an attorney for you asking that she no longer contact you is in order?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption