What do I do about a ticket for 80 in a 55 mph zone?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about a ticket for 80 in a 55 mph zone?

This is my first ever and i had to go to court.

Asked on December 4, 2015 under General Practice, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you can afford it, hire an attorney and follow his/her advice: having an experienced local attorney who knows the court and prosecutor will greatly increase your chance of a better outcome.
If you can't or don't want to hire an attorney then don't think about fighting the ticket, unless there is something very obviously wrong about it--e.g. it lists the wrong make/model/color of car (you were basically given someone else's ticket): in the absence of significant problems on the face of a ticket, you almost never win by fighting, because courts always believe the officer, not you.
But do think about negotiation. Speak to the prosecutor when you first come to court. Be humble and apologetic. If you have a clean record, stress that. If there were any factors in your favor about why you sped--e.g. all the traffic was going that fast--bring that up in a non-defensive way; for example, say "I was keeping up with traffic, but I didn't realize how fast we were all going." With a clean record and if you do not offend/annoy the prosecutor, there is a good chance he/she will recommend a deal in which you plea to a lesser offsense--maybe only going 10mph over the speed limit, not 25.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption