What do I do about a joint parenting plan when the father and mother live in different school districts and the child will be starting kindergarten?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about a joint parenting plan when the father and mother live in different school districts and the child will be starting kindergarten?

The father is in his late 30’s lives with his parents. He did move out for a short while in college but moved back and hasn’t moved back out since. Neither of us pay support. I have supported myself. He doesn’t smoke. I smoke. I am a nurse. he works labor. He left me when I found out I was pregnant; met son when he was 3 months.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This step will be a test for the both of you as to how you will deal with issues regarding your son for the rest of your lives so take it seriously and try and keep your wits about you.  The little thing you mentioned in your question - that you are a nurse and he is a laborer, etc - have no bearing on the fact that you are to make joint decisions for your son (although I do hope that you do not smoke in the house).  If you did not address it in your plan then you are going to have to address it now.  If you are the custodial parent then it would seem that your son be enrolled in your district.  Check with an attorney. But try and sit down and keep your calm and discuss the issues: do you work less days and would you be able to pick him up more?  So would it be easier for you to get him if he were closer to home?  Or can his parents help out and get him on days you both work?  What do each of the school districts offer?  Would he make more friend in your area since he lives with you most of the time?  And listen: I hope he pays child support.  That is your son's right not yours.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption