What do I do about a bounced check for payment of services?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do about a bounced check for payment of services?

I own a solar energy company and I put panels on a home. The check they paid me with bounced and now they are avoiding me. I went

to the house and disconnected them so they can’t use the panels. They called the cops on me for destruction of property. The cops said I have to go back and reconnect them. What should I do?

Asked on December 24, 2017 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have to reconnect them: when someone owes you money, the law does NOT let you disable, turn off, damage, or take their property--even property you had installed. Your legal option is to sue them for the money they owe you--the amount of the bounced check and any other amounts they agreed to pay but did not--as well as for any other costs their actions caused you, such as a NSF or bounced check fee. If the amount at stake is equal to or less than the limit for small claims court, sue in small claims, for "beach of contract," as your own attorney or "pro se," as the fastest, most cost-effective option; otherwise, retain an attorney to sue for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption