What do I ask for in court if I am looking to get a felony expunged?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I ask for in court if I am looking to get a felony expunged?

The felony is for theft and I have a misdemeanor for assault.

Asked on April 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In the state of Arizona expungement is known as "setting aside a judgement."  One can not set aside the following:

  1. A crime involving the infliction of serious physical injury
  2. A crime involving the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon
  3. A crime that was motivated by sexual desires
  4. Any crime where the victim was younger than 15 years old
  5. A driving/moving violation while the defendant’s license was suspended or revoked

If your crime is not included in the above the setting aside the judgement may be pssible if you meet the following requirements:

You must have met all the requirements set out in the original sentencing after the conviction, including:

  1. The jail or prison sentence
  2. Any probationary period
  3. Any alcohol or substance rehabilitation programs
  4. Any anger management course completion requirements

2. The defendant cannot have any additional criminal convictions from anywhere between three months and six years from the date of the completion of the original sentence and/or probation that was tied to the original conviction.

Seek legal help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption