What constitutes SERIOUS injury ?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes SERIOUS injury ?

When a person is charged with 1st degree robbery or kidnapping or assault the law reads something like serious physical injury. I know a person that was probably overcharged just so they could get him to plead to lesser offenses. The difference in degrees of some charges all require SERIOUS physical injury rather than simply physical injury. Also—can anybody refer me to where he can get legal help for free or at very low cost for criminal conviction appeal ?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I've provided links to the applicable statutes below for your review.  "Serious injury" can be broadly defined and not all assault charges need to involve serious injury per se.  Anyway, I hope this helps.

As for getting low or no-cost counsel, you can contact the public defenders office or legal aid and see if the person finacially qualifies for representation by them.  If not, at least ask them to refer an agency, person, firm, etc. who might take on the appeal and charge based on financial ability to pay.




IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption