What constitutes re-taking possesion of property?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes re-taking possesion of property?

I am a landlord and have a tenant whose lease ends at the end of this month. The tenant moved to a new house on the 28th of last month. Since the tenant vacated the house, I have since moved in some furniture for storage. I did not inform the tenant I would be doing this as I wrongfully assumed he would not care. He found out that I moved the furniture in, and is now claiming that I have “re-taken possesion of the property”. I sent him an email stating that I was not re-taking possesion of the property, and if the furniture bothered him, I would remove it. Now he wants the remainder.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the tenant's lease ends the last day of this month, then unless he actually surrendered possession to you, you could not move furniture in for storage--that would constitute "taking possession," since you are using the space for your own purpose--until the earlier of:

1) the expiration of the lease;

2) the tenant is evicted (such as if he did not pay rent for July) through the courts  and you get a judgment of possession;

3) the tenant does in fact surrender possession to you, such as by returning the keys and indicating that he's permanently moved out.

Other than that, until lease expiration, surrender of possession, or eviction, the tenant has possession, not you, and you may not use the rental property.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption