What constitutes auto theft?

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes auto theft?

A relative (74 years old) is behind on car payments and owes about $14,000. She plans to leave the state with the car, not make payments, and hope not to be found. This must be criminal behavior. What will happen if/when she is found?

Asked on December 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Auto theft is when a person takes another person's vehicle without permission with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of possession of it.

In your situation, the relative was making payments on a vehicle that she is entitled to possess based upon a loan from the lender. Her failure to continue to make payments on the vehicle is more of a civil breach of contract as opposed to a criminal situation.

Assuming the vehicle is located by the lender, it will be repossessed, towed and auctioned off under the loan agreement. Afterwards, there most likely will be a civil action against the relative for a deficiency judgment under the loan for the vehicle.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption