What constitutes a legala legal kitchenfor purposes?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes a legala legal kitchenfor purposes?

Is a landlord required to provide a refrigerator in an apartment?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

For a kitchen to be deemed "legal" it needs to be in compliance with local building codes typically adopting the version then in effect of the uniform building code (ubc) in effect throughout this country setting the standard of construction for commercial and residential buildings.

Typically the kitchen needs running water, a sink, electricity, lighting, electrical outlets with ground fault interrupters and areas to plug in electrical appliances such as a stove, microwave, and a refrigerator.

A landlord is not required to provide a refrigerator for his or her tenant, but most do as part of the rental process. Usually, if a unit does not come with a refrigerator, the rental price on a monthly basis will be below market rate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption