What can we do about tickets from the city for dead lawn in a foreclosure?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do about tickets from the city for dead lawn in a foreclosure?

After losing over 50% of our income in the recession, we can’t afford to keep both our homes. One is currently going through foreclosure. Meanwhile, the neighbors called the city about our dead grass and now the city is fining us. We cut the grass but they want it green and lush. Really? The fines are piling up, but we can’t afford to pay them. Is there a process to appeal without paying? The court is saying we have to pay in order to appeal but that seems unfair. Is there a process for getting an appeal without paying the fines? That’s grocery money.

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

More importantly, what grounds would you appeal on? If you still are the owners of  the home--that is, the bank has not taken it yet, and the foreclosure process is still ongoing--then you may not have any defense to this; if the ordinances require a green lawn, they can ticket you, the owners, for not having one.

In terms of appealing without paying--the only way to do so would be to make a motion to the court for leave to do so, which leave is discretionary on the court's part.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption