What can we do about the car

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do about the car

My wife got a car for her daughter both of them are
on the paper work my wife is the primary and her
daughter is the co signer. Her daughter let some one
use the car. They said there were just going to work
and back but the car ended up in Roma Tx and they
got pulled over with drugs and wetbacks in the car
and the car go impounded. They havent told us
anything about the car its been 7-8 weeks now. We
are still paying on the car

Asked on August 5, 2019 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Call the law enforcement agency where the 'friend' was arrested and see which impound lot they took the vehicle to.  If there is not a police hold on the vehicle, then either your wife or your daughter should be able to go and retrieve the vehicle after presenting proof of ownership.  If law enforcement has a hold, then you'll need to visit with law enforcement and the prosecutor's office about then releasing their hold.  Often, law enforcement will seize vehicles used in crimes to have them forfeited to the state.  However, they don't like seizing vehicles with liens against them because they don't have enough funds to pay off the liens most of the time.
 So step one is to call law enforcement, call the impound facility, and call the DA's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption