What can we do about a big draft in a new apartment?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do about a big draft in a new apartment?

My brother just moved into his new apartment. We notice that the door doesn’t fix correctly with the door frame so there is a draft. He thought it would be okay, but after spending the first night there he was said it was freezing all night (he lives on the second floor and it’s winter). The next day (after moving in) he asked if he can have a different apartment but the manger refused and said they couldn’t do anything about it. Is there anything we can do other than turning on the heater 24/7? Can we make the manger fix it?

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a big draft coming into the rental through the door frame, the best way to fix it is to go down to the hardware store and get some weather stripping to place in the door frame. Either you can ask the landlord to pay for the weather stripping and if he or she refuses, you should do so to get the problem resolved.

The cost of the weather stripping should not be that much in my opinion, less than $50.00 or so.

Another option is to have the property manager to fix the door with weather stripping.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption