What can we do for a medical bill that was incurred due to an uninsured driver?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do for a medical bill that was incurred due to an uninsured driver?

My mom and I were in a car accident 9 months ago. We were hit by a car while crossing the street and we found out a couple days later that the insurance of the person who hit us expired that same day. We had an MRI done and are just now being billed. We thought that our insurance would cover everything but we were mistaken.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since the driver/registered owner of the vehicle did not have insurance, you and your mom will need to sue the driver/registered owner for negligence.

When you and your mom complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain the medical bills, medical reports and documentation of any wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of the injuries and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.

You and your mom have separate claims based on the individual medical bills, pain and suffering and wage loss; however, both of you should be plaintiffs in the same lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault driver/registered owner of the vehicle.

The lawsuit needs to be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you and your mom will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption