What can the court leagly do to me if i sign a statement claming the 8.8 g of meth that was found on my moms person?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can the court leagly do to me if i sign a statement claming the 8.8 g of meth that was found on my moms person?

I told her to tell everyone that she came into town to rescue me from making a bad choice of falling off the wagon and she put me on a plane Back to California where i work, So now her lawyer wants to know why i will not come forward to claim it… So I am…?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

By signing a statement claiming ownership of the drugs, you could potentially be incriminating yourself.  If this statement is disclosed to the prosecution, the state could choose to prosecute you.  However, it is also possible that this statement could be used to exculpate your mother -- in other words, to get the prosecution to dismiss or nolle the charges against your mother.  I suggest consulting with and/or retaining an experienced criminal defense attorney who is not professionally associated with your mother's attorney due to the fact that while you and your mother have some common goals (you both do not want to see her prosecuted) some of those goals may conflict with protecting your interests (you may not wish to see her charges dismissed at the expense of your liberty).  Therefore, it is important that you retain your own legal counsel in order to increase the likelihood that neither your mother or you are prosecuted.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption